Position Title: CSR/assistant Department: Personal Lines
Exempt/Non-Exempt: Non-exempt Effective Date: 01/23/2017
Position Reports To: Owner &CEO
Positions Supervised: None
The CSR/Assistant is completely responsible for the service including computer input and update of personal lines accounts and to provide prompt, accurate and courteous service to customers and carrier personnel regarding their assigned accounts. Also responsible for assisting Agents in meeting departmental production, retention and contingency goals set by Personal Lines Manager and/or CEO
Essential Functions/Major Responsibilities:
- Review and implement processing procedures in order to:
- Incorporate the capabilities of the agency management system and various company systems into your daily workflow.
- Streamline your workflow.
- Follow agency procedures for processing:
- New business
- Direct billed renewals (for paperless carriers)
- Broadly participate in the retention and growth of your assigned book of business.
- Maintain a current knowledge of insurance coverage’s and exposures and their available markets.
- Maintain a current knowledge of underwriting guidelines, rating systems and processing requirements for each personal lines carrier.
- Maintain records in an up-to-date manner.
- Prepare customer or carrier correspondence, LPR’s, EPI’s, ID cards, and internal correspondence as needed using the tools given and in adherence to agency procedures.
- Handle telephone calls and personal visits from prospects and customers pertaining to service in a timely manner.
- Conduct coverage reviews with customers and recommend additional lines of coverage if the need becomes apparent.
- Review all incoming mail, faxes, e-mails and voice-mails the day they are received and respond according to reasonable guidelines set by manager.
- Process all monies transactions in accordance with agency and carrier practices and procedures.
- Work suspense list on daily basis to keep current and follow up with customers in a timely manner.
- Print electronic correspondence from carriers and distribute or process as assigned by Personal Lines Manager.
- Attend educational seminars as required by Agency and FDFS.
- Assume responsibility for related duties as required or assigned.
- Ensure work area is clean, secure and well maintained.
- Perform special assignments at managers request.
- Attend all training programs and meetings required by the agency.
- Stay informed of trends and changes in the insurance field.
- Adhere to agency attendance policy, conduct code and dress code.
Performs duties under the direction and supervision of Personal Lines Manager and Agents, operating from established directions and instructions. Decisions are made within general company policy constraints and insurance laws but occasionally require independent decision-making. Mistakes or errors may result in loss of business, poor customer relations and/or an Errors & Omissions claim, all of which can have negative financial implications for the organization.
This position is not supervisory in nature.
Performance is measured by achievement of personal and departmental goals for production, retention, and contingency as set by management, as well as overall attitude, compliance to agency policies and procedures, and interpersonal relationships with customers, coworkers and carrier personnel.
- Has regular contact with others both inside and outside the organization. The most common internal contacts are with own department staff and own supervisor. The most frequent external contacts are with clients and insurance companies. Internal and external interactions involve information exchange, problem solving, quoting, negotiation and selling.
- All contacts usually made at the employee’s own initiative with 70% of the contacts being over the phone or via fax or e-mail and 30% face to face. Internal and external contacts frequently contain some discussion about confidential or sensitive matters.
Education/Certification: P&C Insurance License or Customer Service Rep. License
Required Knowledge: Thorough knowledge of the NC and Virgina State Insurance Laws and P&C coverage definitions. Thorough knowledge of agency management system and carrier systems. Thorough knowledge of companies’ underwriting requirements and procedures. Broad based knowledge of Insurance Agency practices and procedures.
Experience Required: At least 2 years Tech. Assistant experience desired but not required.
Skills/Abilities: Strong oral/written communication skills. Training/development skills required. Able to prioritize, organize, coordinate and direct workflow. Able to use all related hardware and software.
Physical Activities and Requirements of This Position:
Finger Dexterity: Using primarily just the fingers to make small movements such as typing, using writing instruments, picking up small objects, or pinching fingers together.
Repetitive Motions: Using hands, wrists and/or fingers.
Talking: Especially where one must convey detailed or important instructions or ideas accurately, loudly or quickly.
Average Hearing: Able to hear average or normal conversations and receive ordinary information.
Average Visual Abilities: Average, ordinary visual acuity necessary to prepare or inspect documents or products, or operate machinery.
Physical Strength: Sedentary work. Sitting most of the time. Exerts up to 10 lbs of force occasionally.
None: No hazardous or significantly unpleasant conditions. (Such as in a typical office.)
Mental Activities and Requirements of This Position
Problem Solving: Moderate frequency- under general supervision, anticipates and solves problems for self. Complex problems are referred to Agent partner or Personal Lines Manager.
Analyzing/Evaluation: Complex frequency- independently examines complex information and/or situations, evaluates potential impact to the client, options, and makes recommendations.
Decision Making: Complex frequency- decisions are guided by precedent and interpretation of applicable insurance laws, etc. Decisions have a significant impact on others and the organization.
Equipment Operation: Moderate frequency- operates somewhat complex equipment, often requiring education/training, including computer hardware/software.
Discretion/Confidentiality: Moderate frequency- work responsibilities frequently concern confidential and/or sensitive information requiring the use of discretion at all times.
Math Skills: Simple frequency – ability to perform basic math computations including addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
Team Work: Complex frequency- teamwork and cooperation are essential to the successful completion of own and others job duties.
Read/Write/Speak English: Moderate frequency – ability to understand and follow somewhat complex verbal and written instructions. Ability to communicate effectively with others both verbally and in writing.
Creativity: Moderate frequency – job duties are somewhat varied, occasionally requiring conceptualizing, planning and implementing.
Task Handling: Complex frequency- job duties are widely varied, and frequently require attention to and /or coordination of concurrent job duties.
Please have 3 References and email your resume to